Sittingbourne is situated in south-east England, 17 miles (27 km) from Canterbury and 45 miles (72 km) from London. Originally, it was a lesser hamlet close to Milton Regis, the Roman administrative hub for Roman times.
Sittingbourne was on Watling Street. Roman soldiers would have marched along, and grew into a more substantial town as Sittingbourne High Street on the London to Dover Road. In the Middle Ages, the abundance of houses, and particularly inns developed to serve the many travellers who required a meal, or somewhere to linger for a night.
Sittingbourne was a favourite stopping place for Kings and Queens, and other personages including Henry V. He feasted at Sittingbourne in 1415 when he was on his way home from the Battle of Agincourt.
In Medieval times the trip from London to the coast took five days. By the 18th century, the Flying Stage Coach took just two days, and Sittingbourne was the single overnight stop.
The size, and character, of the inns, reveal the importance of the town.
Sittingbourne also became a central industrial and farming area. It possessed important brickworks, which fulfilled much of London’s needs. With this, the Barge industry became essential for moving the bricks and other goods to London.
The space around Sittingbourne was subjected to constant air raids by Zeppelins and aeroplanes throughout the First World War. The German forces used the town as a reference point for bearings on the route to London.
The earliest visit by a German aeroplane occurred on Christmas Day 1914.
Sittingbourne has one senior football team, Sittingbourne F.C., The team, are known to fans as “The Brickies”).
At present Sittingbourne, F.C plays their matches at Woodstock Park. Woodstock Park is part of the Kent Science Park complex. The club play in the Isthmian League Division One South.